Firebase is Google’s mobile platform that helps you develop high-quality apps and provides hosted backend services such as a realtime database, cloud storage, authentication, crash reporting. Firebase supports Flutter, so you can add Firebase to your Flutter app.
Required Steps for Flutter Firebase Integration
1- Create a Firebase Project
- Open Firebase and go to console.
- Add a new project.
- Give your project a name and continue.
Note: After this step, a setting for Google Analytics will appear, if you wish, you can enable it. Google Analytics helps you understand how people use your web, iOS, or Android app. You can check here for detailed information.
Congratulations, your Firebase project has been created.
2- Register your App with Firebase
Note: As you know, Flutter supports both iOS and Android, if you are releasing your Flutter app on both iOS and Android, you need to add both iOS and Android versions of your app to the same Firebase project.
In this tutorial I am going to show you how to adding your Flutter Android app to the Firebase. You can follow this guide to add Firebase to the Flutter iOS app.
- Go to Firebase Project Overview Page and click on the Android icon.
- Type your app’s package name in the Android package name field.
- To find the Android package name, go to android>app>build.gradle file. (Here used VS Code as IDE.)
- Optionally, you can enter other application information as requested in the setup workflow. Then click the Register App button.
3- Add a Firebase Configuration File
- Download google-services.json and put the downloaded file inside of the android/app directory within of your Flutter project. Then click the Next.
4- Add Firebase SDK
- To use Firebase services in your Android app, add the Google services plugin to your Gradle files.
- Firstly, open in your root-level (project-level) Gradle file (android/build.gradle) and change it to include the following:
- Then, open in your module (app-level) Gradle file (usually android/app/build.gradle), and change it to include the following:
- After modifying the Gradle file run flutter packages get.
- Now, you are ready to start building with Firebase.
5- Add FlutterFire Plugins
Flutter provides a set of Firebase plugins, which are called FlutterFire.
- Open your pubspec.yaml file in your Flutter app and add the FlutterFire plugin for the Firebase Core Flutter SDK. This plugin is required for all Flutter-Firebase apps, both iOS and Android versions.
- You can add various FlutterFire plugins for the Firebase products you want to use in your application.
Finally all done! Thank you for reading.